The SEA Group is committed to combining the fundamental value of protecting our environmental heritage with development.
The environmental and energy policy of the group is based on the following principles:
- extensive compliance with regulatory requirements;
- an ongoing commitment to improving the environmental and energy performance;
- education and involvement of all actors involved in the airport system to further a responsible commitment towards respecting and protecting our common environmental heritage;
- priority given to the purchase of products and services which adopt similar environmental sustainability parameters, with particular attention to energy saving, the reduction of atmospheric and noise emissions and water conservation;
- identification of sources and controls of CO2 emissions produced, both direct and indirect, through the involvement of the stakeholders, in order to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in line with the Kyoto protocol;
- a constant level of monitoring and verification of the processes related to the energy, atmospheric emission, noise and water cycle aspects, and in general the various phenomenon concerning interaction with the ecosystem;
- a highly developed system of listening and communication with a wide range of external actors to ensure transparency and sharing.
The Environmental Management System and the Energy Management System are periodically subject to internal and external checks as part of the commitment undertaken by SEA to circulate to stakeholders detailed reporting concerning the environmental and energy processes at the Milan airports, with a view to the continual improvement of the governance of the ecological-environmental and energy issues related to Group activities, and in line with a strategic framework focused on the achievement of maximum sustainability.
Upcoming priorities and impact on corporate strategies
The commitment of the SEA Group to sustainable development and the reduction of the environmental impact have required the gradual incorporation into the key environmental management issues of the economic/financial strategies of the company.
In line with international environmental protection principles, SEA is committed to undertaking a prudent approach in the definition and management of environmental and social risks.
In order to continue with the efforts to reduce the impact, it is fundamental to ensure the involvement of top management and of the major structures involved in significant processes in environmental management.
For this reason, in terms of internal operations, the Environment and Airport Safety unit periodically ensures, in particular in relation to third party operators involved in Aviation, through periodic Committees held monthly at the two airports, reporting on the environment and operational safety and, on the external front, ensures adequate communication with the regional and institutional bodies.
The company intends to promote further initiatives of increased interaction with the regional stakeholders focused on noise pollution, water management, the reduction of CO2 emissions and sustainable mobility.
The priority for the coming years is as follows:
- maintenance of “Carbon Footprint” neutrality, through the reduction of energy consumption;
- consolidation and further expansion of the Energy Management System actions;
- promotion of the use of renewable energy sources;
- structuring of a specific water management system to rationalise consumption and establish a Water Footprint (similar to that constructed for the Carbon Footprint).